Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Flying sucks

Ellen here. Malcolm and I are on our first delivery, as he mentioned in his last post. It has been exactly as dull as you'd expect. We stopped by Anna's shack in the middle of nowhere, didn't even get asked inside, then drove several hours, only to get on a plane and take a long ass flight. Flying from the US to fucking Russia is one of the single most boring and frustrating experiences in my life. Like most people involved in this sort of mess, being stuck in a small space with no viable exits is one of my least favorite experiences in the world. The fact that I wasn't allowed to be armed didn't help. Stupid airport security.

Though, it's totally possible to trick that with a ceramic knife. Not that I did that, of course. Malcolm would have been upset at me for putting the delivery at risk. But theoretically, if one were wearing tall boots and stuck a ceramic knife in them, it wouldn't show up on the scanner. Good tip for runners and proxies alike if you get stuck on a plane and you think you might need to defend yourself. I'm not actually saying I did this, of course, or endorsing it because that's crazy illegal and I don't want to show up on some watch list somewhere for saying shit on a blog.

In any event the two of us (completely unarmed, of course) got off the plane a few hours ago. Now, I was tired and wanted to stop off for a nap and possibly some vodka (when in Rome, after all), but Malcolm just handed me a cup of coffee and insisted on heading straight over to our crazy Russian boys. That was about the point I lost track of what was going on. I don't speak Russian, which is why Mal came along on the job in the first place. As far as I know, he's the only one on the team that does.

What I do know is that the moment we knocked we were greeted by a very angry looking guy with a gun, and another, injured guy (I'm guessing that was Incognito himself?) holding a bigger gun. I understand being cautious about who you allow in, but guns in the face feels a bit excessive when you know you're expecting company. There was yelling, but it was in Russian, so I'm not sure what was said. Malcolm greeted this with his signature reptilian cool and replied, which thankfully resulted in the guns being set aside for the moment. Mal did the swap, Incognito handed over a hard drive, and then the angry guy shoved his gun in our face again, which I took to be our cue to go

I told Mal that there was no way I was getting back on the plane for at least another twelve hours, so we've been taking in the sights and enjoying the local alcohol. I never had such an appreciation for vodka before. Their beer is pretty fantastic too. I should get some sleep, though, it's crazy late here and I've got another flight in the morning. Ellen out.

7 comments:

  1. I'm honestly not sure any of that was legal short of the sight seeing, coffee, and rampant alcoholism.

    Everything else sounds sketchy as fuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah. None of us do quite legal work. You're really one to talk, mr kidnapping, torture, and murder.

      Delete
    2. It's different when its your own sketchy work. Just seems dirty to do someone else's... I guess.

      Delete
  2. Quick tip for your future business, check the fucking contents before delivering them over, unless you were working with Anna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had no knowledge of what Miss Annalee intended. Part of our arrangement was the secrecy of the contents within each side of the delivery. Without sneaking a look at her package without her permission, we had no way of knowing what she had done. I apologize for the inconvenience.

      Delete
    2. You guys wanted secrecy, we gave it to you. Not our fault if it fucked you over.

      Delete
    3. Malc's said it better than me but dude, what are the chances you'd be just as pissed if the info was legit and we'd rummaged through it?

      Delete